Support a Senior this Holiday Season
November 12, – December 8, 2022
OFSS is proud to partner with London Drugs and Friends to support approximately 4,000 local seniors through the Stocking Stuffers for Seniors program.
Stocking Stuffers for Seniors is a donation drive in which people can visit their local London Drugs, choose a tag from the tree that contains the personalized wish list of a local senior. The gifts are then delivered to the seniors before Christmas.
Just the act of receiving a gift helps to significantly improve the spirits of a senior and can have lasting mental and physical health benefits.
When seniors are lonely or isolated, it can significantly compromise their mental or physical health. When they receive a gift at Christmas, it reminds them that someone out there cares about them – even if that person is a stranger they have never met. Stocking Stuffers for Seniors is a very significant program that goes beyond gifts. It has truly changed how younger Canadians view the elderly, and it has helped to remind people to prioritize this population.
The donation drive originated in Edmonton in 2015 with a goal to help 40 low-income seniors by providing them with simple gifts such as food, hygiene products or warmth items. Stocking Stuffers for Seniors now supports 4,000 seniors in the Greater Edmonton Area, and approximately 15,000 seniors across Canada through all 81 London Drugs locations.
How Do I Support Stocking Stuffers For Seniors?
1. Visit your local London Drugs store, and head over to the store’s Christmas Tree for a Stocking Stuffers for Seniors gift tag. Each tag contains a wish list from a local senior, or a general “wish list” from a participating local care home or charitable partner organization.
2. Simply purchase or bring new, non-gift wrapped items,* along with the gift tag, to the store’s Customer Service Counter by December 8, 2022. For even more Christmas cheer, you’re welcome to include a personalized Christmas Card with your gift.
3. OFSS and our London Drugs stores will ensure your gifts are delivered to the local care homes and charitable partner organizations. This year, to maintain those important safety measures, our stores will not be doing in-person delivery. We will be working with the care homes to ensure delivery has as limited contact as possible. Each store will work with the individual care homes ensuring the delivery of gifts meets COVID-19 health and safety regulations.
Spread the Christmas cheer, stay updated, and see how your gifts are making the Christmas season a bit brighter for seniors in your community! Follow us on Facebook and Twitter:
Tag us at #StockingStuffersForSeniors
10 POPULAR GIFTS FOR SENIORS
- Books or magazines
- Blankets and throws
- Kitchen essentials
- Candy or chocolate
- Board games or puzzles
- Slippers or warm socks
- Paper towels, tissues, and other paper products
- Warm clothes like gloves and scarves
- Travel mugs
- Gift Cards for groceries and toiletries
Stocking Stuffers for Seniors participants and campaign supporters are being asked to use the #StockingStuffersForSeniors hashtag on social media to encourage others to get involved so more elderly Canadians can be supported at the holidays, as well as year-round.